Home Forums General PPG More Daylight!

• More Daylight!

Josh Perry updated 6 days, 18 hours ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
  • Jeremy

March 12, 2021 at 6:10 pm
    0 Parapoints

I dont know about you all but I am pumped about the extra hour of daylight coming this weekend! It opens up evening flying for me. Now if we can just get some warm and dry weather in SW MO….

• Jim

March 12, 2021 at 8:44 pm
    19 Parapoints

I agree. I’m never happy for the winter time shift. If it were up to me I’d have it on summer time year round.

NC is warming up nicely. We hit 80 today. Sunrises and sunsets are calling out to me.

• Josh Perry

March 12, 2021 at 8:52 pm
    402 Parapoints

I’ll be happy once this rain is gone! I’m ready to fly!!

• Allen

March 12, 2021 at 9:33 pm
    17 Parapoints

I’m ready to not have to take off work at 3pm to go fly on a weekday.

• MARK ROGERS

April 8, 2021 at 11:26 pm
    90 Parapoints

I totally agree. I’m using the down time to build my electric paramotor, but am really looking to get in the air again. (>*

• Josh Perry

April 9, 2021 at 9:39 pm
    402 Parapoints

You had me at electric paramotor… You can’t say that and not mention details!? I wanna know more!

• MARK ROGERS

April 10, 2021 at 2:07 am
    90 Parapoints

Ok, Here are the details, as I have them. (It’s not finished yet.)

2-80 Volt 6.0 Ah Lithium Batteries, put on a Kangook Phoenix Paramotor, running a 120100 Electric motor. This turns a 3-Blade 31″ E-Prop, I’m planning a 3:1 Reduction. I will fabricate the pulleys myself, from 6061 Aircraft Aluminum, for strength, and weight reduction. I have upgraded to the Swing-Arm setup, for better weight shift control. With this setup, I am expecting 18-20 Hp at the fan.

This should be comparable to a “Gasser” for power, though I have not done the calculations for the electric power draw yet. I am hoping to get 20 minutes of power per flight. Enough to get me up to the thermals where I can continue by Free-Flight. Depending on how much time each battery pack gives me, I may add more for longer flight times.

I still need a wing for powered flight, as my Free-Flight wings are not set up for power.

I’m an Electronic Engineer, by training, and currently work in the Machine Tool industry, in Software, so I have the resources to work with. ☝😃

Cool Right?

• MARK ROGERS

April 10, 2021 at 2:18 am
    90 Parapoints

I am stoked for the longer days! This will allow me to get my work done, and get out to fly!

With my Free-Flight setup, that means hiking up the hill (1.5 to 2 hours usually), and then using the thermals to stay aloft. My longest duration flight was 6.5 hours long, and I average 48 minutes per flight just free flying.

The airport down the street forbids ultralight aircraft, at their field, so I will still need to travel a few miles to fly, but not nearly as many as I do for free flying.

I’m really looking forward to the improved weather. (>*

• Josh Perry

April 10, 2021 at 9:27 pm
    402 Parapoints

Dude that sounds awesome. I just subscribed to your youtube channel, I hope to see some video of it in action soon. That sucks about the airport banning ultralights… Are they a federally funded airport? If so, lawyer up!

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now